Sunday, April 11, 2010

Finished Objects

I finally have a couple of knitted finished objects to share here. First up is a Shiny Cowl by Dee Anna at Pair of Ducks Knitting. Since I'm trying to knit up the yarn I already have, my rendition is fuzzy rather than shiny.


Shiny Cowl


It was a great one-skein project, using up almost an entire ball of Frog Tree Alpaca sport weight. (I estimate that I used 120 yards of the 130 yard ball.) In addition to using very little yarn, it was a near instant-gratification project. I cast on Thursday evening, and I started casting off at Knit Lawrence Saturday afternoon.

Fiber Star was kind enough to teach me Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bindoff, which turned out to be just perfect for this project (and is every bit as stretchy as you would expect). Not only does it give me plenty of room to pull the cowl over my head, but it matched the long-tail cast on I used nicely.

Shiny Cowl

I also recently finished a pair of plain top-down socks. While they're not an exciting piece of knitting, the yarn is very special to me.

Socks

They are knit in some gray, Regia tweed that I purchased in Wurzburg, Germany in 2005, while I was on the study-abroad trip where I met my husband. I was a brand new knitter in those days, and I don't think I had even knit my first sock when purchased this yarn. I only recently decided that I could knit socks competently enough to use it up!

Socks

I still actually have one skein of precious sock yarn left from that trip, and I'm thinking that the chemist deserves a pair too. I just can't decide if a nice herringbone pattern or cables will suit the tweed better.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely! And your knitting skills were definitely up to the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great to but yarn on trips as souvenirs, it works out so well. The socks look great and of course the cowl is great.

    Dee Anna

    ReplyDelete