Friday, April 16, 2010

Cuckoo for Cowls

Back when cowls were all the rage in the knitting blogosphere (2007? 2008?), I have to admit that I just didn't get it. I was more than a little skeptical of all of the short, stumpy tubes folks were knitting.

If you're on Ravelry, you know that there's always a discussion titled something like "Why knit dishcloths?" or "Why bother knitting socks?" Well, that's sort of how I felt about cowls.

Then, last week, I knit one. And, when I finished, I immediately cast on for another.

Zigzag Cowl

I totally get it now.

Zigzag Cowl

This little number is a Zigzag Cowl from the zigzagstitch. It knit up lightening fast in one skein of nearly-impossible-to-photograph vermilion Malabrigo Merino Worsted. I'm completely smitten with the traveling stitches and picot hems. (So much for gifting it, eh?)

The pattern keeps its promise: it was a super-fun, relaxing knit. It's a very straight forward pattern, but every row is just a little bit different. As the Yarn Harlot would say, it's just enough to keep a knitter interested.

Zigzag Cowl

Plus, it was the perfect antidote to my busy week. I've been struggling to finish up a couple of projects for a class that I'm taking, and knitting around-and-around-and-around has been a welcome reprieve.

Up next, I'm planning on starting a project that I've been eying for over a year. Here's a sneak peek:

Future Liesl

1 comment:

  1. I have always aspired to be a scarf wearer but I have finally realized I am not. Cowls are my solution and I love them!

    Yours looks great, I love the color.

    Dee Anna

    ReplyDelete