Friday, April 2, 2010

The Ticket

This time last year, I was casting off what is still probably the best thing I ever knit: a Cotton-Ease Baby Blanket. I followed the pattern to a T, and if I do say so myself, it turned out pretty fabulous. I could wax poetic about everything I loved everything about that blanket. I completely enjoyed every stitch and square, and it was a sad, sad day when I had to pack it up and drop it in the mail.

Mitered Square Blanket


Fast forward nine months, give or take. A friend of my husband's approaches me asking me to teach her how to knit. She wants to knit a giant, cuddly, wool, Pottery Barn-esque blanket to throw over the back of her sofa. (At least, this is how I imagined it.) Remembering all of the dropped stitches and accidental yarn overs in my first sad bit of knitting, I talked her down from the dream blanket and got her started knitting a garter stitch scarf.

But, her passion rubbed off on me and the idea stuck: I wanted to knit a giant, cuddly blanket to throw over the back of our sofa futon.

Mitered Square Blanket


I didn't put two and two together until I was doing some spring cleaning and found myself face to face with a big basket of leftover Cotton-Ease from The Best Thing I Ever Knit. Then it hit me: a mitered square blanket would be just the ticket.

Ever since Loloen completed her mighty Blanketa last year, I've wanted to make the infamous Mason-Dixon Mitered Square Blanket. Without giving much thought to just how long this crazy project is going to take me, I cast on.

Mitered Square Blanket


Three squares down, seventy-seven to go!

(Ouch.)

1 comment: