Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sale Yarn

Today is one of my favorite days of the summer: downtown Lawrence's sidewalk sale. For the first time ever, I made it downtown first thing in the morning and was at the Yarn Barn shortly after they opened. (Nice to see you Dee Anna!)

Sale Yarn

I tried to remain sensible in the face of so much discounted yarn, and I only ended up with three cones of Harrisville Shetland, which seems to be popular among the Knit Lawrence crew. While it's meant for weaving, I've heard that it blooms up nicely after washing, and I think it will make a sturdy, woolly sweater.

I'm planning on using it to make an Elizabeth Zimmerman inspired fair isle yoke cardigan. Right now, I'm envisioning blue snowflakes or flowers around the yoke and contrasting button bands. But, that's very likely to change by the time I actually get around to knitting it up.

Sale Yarn

I probably went a bit overboard quantity-wise. I brought home a pound and a half of the stuff, which works out to about 1350 yards. At least I don't have to worry about running out!

3 comments:

  1. What a lousy time to be without a car! And a job. Great haul, though. And you need that kind of yardage. Accessories must be made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, I love it! What a great idea for a sweater.

    At the year end sale I bought 6 cones and I refuse to do the math on how much yardage that would be. I guess it is ok because I actually did not purchase anything this morning.

    Dee Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty colors! =) Have ya started?

    ReplyDelete