Friday, June 4, 2010

Time Flies

Sorry for the unexplained silence around here, folks. I spent last week visiting family in Texas and have finally recovered from the drive back to Kansas. On the up side, the twenty-two hour round-trip drive gave me the opportunity to finish Liesl.

Finished Liesl

About time, eh? Honestly, I was done with the actual knitting not long after my last update, but finishing it took me forever.

Finished Liesl

Since it's knit at such a loosey-goosey gauge, I was worried that the button holes would gap and pull unattractively. (You can kind of see it in the pattern photos.) In an effort to avoid unsightliness at my bustline, I decided to try my hand at sewing in snaps instead.

Liesl Snaps

While the final product looks just fine, I have mixed feelings about the snaps. There's no way these puppies will ever gap unattractively, but they were a far bigger commitment than I ever anticipated. Each snap took me roughly one hour to sew into place, a large part of why this project dragged on and on. The snaps are still a little stiff and hard to separate, but I think they'll "break in" with use. If I had it to do over, I'd probably explore better button holes and different methods of snap installation instead.

Also, don't worry: it doesn't escape me that this sweater remarkably similar to the last sweater I knit. No more blue, three-quarter length sleeve, three-white-button sweaters for awhile. I have it out of my system now. Promise.

1 comment: